WhatsApp users have been buzzing lately about a sneaky video call scam that’s making the rounds, putting our personal data and security at risk. Let’s dive into the details, explore how to block WhatsApp video call from unknown number, and stay safe from these potential dangers.
Table of Contents
What is WhatsApp Video Call Scam?
People have been getting unexpected video calls on WhatsApp from strange, unknown numbers. These calls are coming from all over the globe, and they’re causing quite a stir. But don’t be fooled; these aren’t friendly chats.
They’re cunning attempts to trick you into giving away your sensitive information, such as passwords, bank details, and even your home address. Falling for these scams could lead to serious problems, like losing money or falling victim to identity theft.
The Detective Chief Superintendent and Head of Action Fraud and the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB), Oliver Shaw, has a crucial piece of advice: always be cautious when you get messages on WhatsApp or other messaging apps. Even if the person seems familiar, think twice if they ask for your private info.
How To Block Whatsapp Video Call From Unknown Number
Honestly, there is no straightforward way to block WhatsApp video calls from unknown numbers, but we can choose to silence calls from unknown numbers on WhatsApp. Here’s how to do it:
- Open WhatsApp on your device
- Tap on the 3 dots icon à go to ‘Settings’
- Tap on ‘Privacy’ from the menu
- Now, scroll down and tap on ‘Calls’, then enable the option ‘Silence unknown callers’
This feature helps to silence calls from unknown numbers automatically.
How to Protect Yourself from WhatsApp Video Call Scams
Prevention is always better than dealing with the aftermath. It’s crucial to safeguard yourself from phishing attacks. Here are some tips to help you stay safe from WhatsApp video call scams:
- Don’t pick up calls from unknown numbers: If you get a video call from an unknown or suspicious number, it’s best to control your curiosity and ignore it. Legitimate contacts will usually send you a message or leave a voice message if it’s something important.
- Turn on two-factor authentication: Enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for your WhatsApp account to give it an extra layer of protection. This makes it much harder for scammers to access your account. To enable the 2FA, follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp on your device
- Tap on 3 dots icon à go to ‘Settings’
- Tap on the ‘Account’ option from the menu
- Select ‘Two-step verification’ à Tap on the ‘Turn On’ button
- Create a 6-digit PIN (something that you can remember)
- Confirm your PIN in the next step. Then, add your email that can be used to reset your PIN if it is lost.
- Report anything fishy: If you come across a suspicious video call or message from an unknown number, report it to WhatsApp and the relevant authorities to help put a stop to these scams.
- Keep your WhatsApp app updated: Make it a habit to regularly update your WhatsApp app. This ensures that you have the latest security features and patches, helping to protect your information.
- Guard your personal information: Never disclose sensitive data, even if the person on the other end appears familiar. Always verify their identity through other means before sharing personal info.
By following these tips, you can reduce the risk of falling victim to WhatsApp video call scams and enhance your online security. Remember, taking proactive steps is essential in today’s digital world. Your privacy and safety matter, so stay cautious and informed.